One of my closest friends told me once to break down the barriers that are preventing me from walking my path.
A boss, who I despised and thought incompetent, once told me to control only what is in my control. The rest is out of my hands.
A dear aunt stated that a person’s energy can be seen only if I took the time to look for it.
Through the years there have been those moments when a slice of wisdom passed through another’s lips and took hold within me. Moments that were collected over a lifetime causing me to stop what I was doing and allow the words to be written upon my soul. Moments that molded me into who I am today and who I want to be tomorrow.
It is those moments I seek out, that my very soul longs for. To be blessed by another person freely sharing their wisdom is a gift. It is those gifts that elevates an individual to new heights. As Emerson said, “The best effect of fine persons is felt after we leave their presence.” Long after the conversation has ended, the wisdom remains.
I have read countless books and articles, enjoyed many lectures and podcasts, and viewed numerous instructional videos. The time slips by in study as progress inches along. But can any of them compare to the one-on-one conversations that bring about a greater understanding and a deeper sense of knowledge? In an instant the third eye opens and one wakes to a new light. In an instant, clarity, whereas before only confusion from merely scratching the surface.
A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study. –Chinese Proverb
Consider this Chinese proverb and how relates to all the virtues.
- Prudence: Solomon said if you walk with the wise, you become wise (Proverbs 13:20). There is a power in having a mentor.
- Temperance: We can make it a practice of having more meaningful conversations. We can spend less time talking about the weather and trivialities of current events.
- Justice: This is the path of righteousness. Here we become better individuals and in turn improve the society around us.
- Courage: To actively enter these conversations, we have to be bold. Not arrogant, but willing to expose our own inadequacies and learn from those farther along the path.
- Faith: Can you see it? The destination up ahead? Visualize it and realize that you too can have this wisdom?
- Hope: Dreams become reality, only if we pursue them and put in the work.
- Charity: Freely they impart their knowledge to us. Freely we should do the same in return.
We can win in life through these virtues, and it starts with wisdom.